We’ve learned so far that the Feast Days and their symbolism, designated by God for the Hebrew people, can be viewed as “dress rehearsals” for prophetic fulfillment. One example: Sacrifice of the Passover lamb began at 9 am with the binding of the lamb to the altar. At 6 pm, the lamb was killed…. The Lamb of God, Jesus, was bound to the cross at 9 am. He said, “It is finished” and died a physical death at 9 pm!
Keeping that in mind, it’s important to recognize that God has demonstrated patterns using His divine calendar — the same calendar that the Jewish people have used for centuries. Let’s look at one in particular called “the Shemitah year”.
After Moses led the descendants of Jacob (a.k.a. ISRAEL) out of Egypt to Mount Sinai, the Lord God gave him laws for the Hebrew people to adhere to. When Jesus said as He hung on the cross, “It is finished,” He was announcing that the promised Messiah had come and had fulfilled the Law given to Moses.
But some of those laws were given in accordance with the activity of the sun and the moon. One in particular is the Shemitah or “Sabbath year”. This is what the Lord God said to His chosen people:
“For six years you are to sow your fields and harvest the crops, BUT DURING THE SEVENTH YEAR let the land lie unplowed and unused. Then the poor among your people may get food from it, and the wild animals may eat what they leave. Do the same with your vineyard and your olive grove.
“Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest and the slave born in your household, and the alien as well, may be refreshed.” (Exodus 23:10-12, NIV)
Almighty God instituted a day of rest and a year of rest, because people and animals need refreshment and revival. But after the Hebrews entered the land that had been promised to them by God (Genesis 35:10-13), they eventually became so engrossed in DOING and COLLECTING, for their own benefit and profit, that they ignored God’s mandate to rest themselves and the land. They continued to sow and harvest during the Shemitah for 10 seven-year cycles — a total of 70 years. And they ignored the warnings of God’s prophets to repent and change their sinful ways.
So God did something to get their attention and to demonstrate that He would not tolerate their insolent behavior — He allowed Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, to destroy the first temple, which had been dedicated to Him in Jerusalem, and to take His chosen people into captivity FOR 70 YEARS so that HIS LAND could rest and renew!
And something else was required of the people at the end of every seventh year — the 29th day of the biblical month of Elul — ALL DEBTS WERE TO BE CANCELED and the nation’s financial accounts were nullified. According to Rabbi Jonathan Cahn, author of The Harbinger …
“The effects and repercussions of the Shemitah extended into the financial realm, and the realms of labor, employment, production, consumption, and trade. It would cause much of these things to cease or greatly diminish, and in the case of Elul 29, the wiping away of all credit and debt would nullify much of the nation’s financial realm….
“As a year of release and freedom, rest from one’s labors, and drawing near to the Lord, GOD MEANT THE SHEMITAH YEAR TO BE A BLESSING. But ancient Israel rebelled and abandoned both the Sabbath and the Shemitah. The breaking of the Shemitah constituted a sign of the nation’s ruling God our of her life, driving Him out of her fields, labor, government, culture, homes, and life. RATHER THAN SERVING THE GOD OF REST, THE NATION NOW SERVED FOREIGN IDOLS AND KNEW NO REST, ONLY THE RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF INCREASE AND GAIN.
“Created to be a blessing, the Shemitah, in its breaking, would become a judgment. It would still come, but now IN THE FORM OF NATIONAL CALAMITY. In the days of Jeremiah, foreign armies would seize the land, ravage the city and fields, take the people captive into exile, and the land would rest. Every debt was obliterated.” (Jonathan Cahn, The Harbinger Companion With Study Guide; 2013; page 86) [Emphasis mine — PY]
After 70 years in exile, the Jews were allowed to return to Jerusalem and rebuild their temple — though many chose to stay behind in Babylon. But history was destined to repeat itself, and, in fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy in Matthew 24:1-2, the second temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. and the descendants of Jacob (ISRAEL) were removed from the land and scattered into all the nations!
However, God had not forgotten His chosen people. And through His prophets, He foretold that in a future year He would gather the descendants of Israel back to the Promised Land. THAT PROPHECY WAS FULFILLED after the atrocities of World War II — in 1948 the United Nations declared Israel a nation and restored a part of the Promised Land to their control.
* * *
Remembering that God uses established patterns to communicate with humankind, let’s fast forward in history and consider these facts:
- In 1994, the Shoemaker-Levy 9 Comet broke into 21 fragments and pummeled the planet Jupiter (the largest planet in our solar system) on the 9th day of the biblical month of Av. In Jewish history, The 9th of Av has been considered a day of judgement. (MANY disastrous events happened on that calendar date, including the destructions of the first and second temples!) Many Jewish scholars believe that this event was a sign from God that judgment would fall upon the nations for three consecutive seven-year cycles — 7 x 3 = 21.
- In 2001 (after the Twin Towers in NYC fell), on Rosh Hashana (the 1st day of the seventh month of the first Shemitah (which in Hebrew means year that followed the 21 comet fragments hitting Jupiter) — the Dow fell 7% — the largest drop in history to that point.
- In 2008, on Rosh Hashana of the second Shemitah year after the 21 comet fragments collided with Jupiter — the Dow fell 777 points resulting in a $700 billion loss, triggered by a $700 billion bailout plan by the US government. (Notice repetition of the number SEVEN.) “In order to trigger all of these ‘sevens,’ all of Wall Street, the American and world economies, every economic and financial transaction, had to be in exact position for all to happen as it did, at the exact time and to that exact number. No human hand could have orchestrated it.” — Jonathan Can
Question: Will a divine event occur on Rosh Hashana in 2015, the third “seven” in the 21-years of judgment possibly foretold by the 21 comet fragments hitting Jupiter in 1994 on the 9th day of Av?
There are three wars that were prophesied by ancient prophets which are awaiting fulfillment:
- Psalm 38 foretells that enemies from ancient times will plot together to come against Israel.
- Isaiah 17 foretells the fall of Damascus, Syria.
- Ezekiel 38-39 foretells nations led by “Gog of the land of Magog” coming against Israel. (Many believe this person to be the leader of Russia.)
Now consider this …
- A blood moon tetrad appeared in 1949 & 1950, after a world war and Israel’s reinstatement as a nation in 1948 in fulfillment of prophecy.
- A blood moon tetrad appeared following the biblically prophetic 6-Day War between Israel and their Arab neighbors in 1967. Jerusalem was restored to Israel.
- A blood moon tetrad will again appear in 2014 and 2015 — the first and third will occur on Passover; the second and fourth will appear on Sukkot (the Feast of Tabernacles)
According to Pastor Mark Biltz, the blood moons could be signaling that God is trying to communicate with all who will hear that another economic collapse is coming. He also suggests that this could be the church’s finest hour to represent God’s love to people who need salvation through Jesus Christ. If coming events constitute the “Super Bowl of human history,” Pastor Biltz says, “Put me in the game, Lord!”
* * *
“The nations will fear the name of Adonai
and all the kings on earth your glory,
when Adonai has rebuilt Tziyon [Zion / Jerusalem],
and shows himself in his glory,
when he has heeded the plea of the poor
and not despised their prayer.
“May this be put on record for a future generation;
may a people yet to be created praise Adonai.”
(Psalm 102:15-18, The Complete Jewish Bible)